Wesget Sipu postpones annual Pow Wow until next summer
by Don Eno, Reporter
Jun 21, 2012 | 415 views | 0 0 comments | 3 3 recommendations | email to a friend | print
June 20 edition - FORT KENT - The Wesget Sipu has decided to not host its annual Pow Wow this summer. The St. John Valley-based Native American group hosted their 13th such event last year, but according to Donat Cyr, the group's chief, this year they will focus on other projects and will regroup to offer the event in 2013.

In an open letter posted on the group's website, Cyr said that the elders and council and committee members met June 10, and decided to use this year to complete plans to acquire property for the group and apply financial resources towards that project.

"This decision is for the best interest of the tribe and our people," Cyr wrote in the letter. "Our tribal land and Community Center is more important to us than the Pow Wow."

In a phone conversation on Monday, Cyr said that a priority for the group the past few years has been acquiring land and establishing a community center, and that the cost of putting on another large pow wow this year would have only delayed that priority another year.

"There was a tear in every eye at that meeting," Cyr said about the decision to cancel. "This is just for one year," he quickly added. "We will have a pow wow next year."

He said plans are in the works for "mini pow wows" in Frenchville, Van Buren, Portage and elsewhere.